Raffah House | Originally built in the 1840’s…
The land on which Raffah House stands was granted to James Weeding in 1828 as a two acre allotment. In 1855 and the Oatlands Emporium was built. In 1910 the building was partly destroyed in fire and the building which stands today was built.
During the 1930s and '40s the building was a popular and busy maternity hospital whereby it was named 'Raffah'. Since it was shut as a maternity hospital in 1944 it has been used as a residential dwelling.
The choice of sandstone as a building material for Raffah reflects local building practices of the period, when stone was the dominant building material.
189 years on, in 2017 Raffah House was purchased by Nick Weeding and his wife Sophie, Nick is a direct descendent of James Weeding who was the original land owner. Raffah House has undergone an extensive and sympathetic overhaul since being purchased by Nick and Sophie to present as the property it is today. The property has been converted into a warm and modernised home for family to use when visiting and in other times for guests to enjoy staying in.
We look forward to welcoming you.